Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 2: Jo Lankester Printmaking Residency @ Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts

Hi, Thanks you for taking the time to read my blog on printmaking.

Day 2 of my printmaking residency at Umbrella Studio was getting to know the press and experiment with printing the small etching plates.



I etched the Lyre Bird, and the other plates form the three colour etching which is a test for my larger plates for the book.

The press is a lovely old Hildav Industries etching press made in Sydney. The press has great pressure and it took me a while to find the right amount of pressure for the small plates.


The three colour plate etching will print will be sent to the Australian Print Workshop as a donation towards a fundraiser exhibition IMPRESSIONS.

I was very happy with how it turned out. The yellow plate posed a problem as the aluminium oxides with each application of yellow ocher particularly when wiping back. I found I had to clean the plate with solvent and metho and use tarletan and very little paper.

Happy Printing,

Warmly,
Jo Lankester

No comments:

Post a Comment