Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Absolute Reason To Find A Mentor

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my blog on printmaking.

Last Friday, 18 June 2010, I paid my mentor Tate Adams a visit to show him my latest work. My visit had three objectives, One, to deliver a print purchased from the exhibition XXX+WHY, two, show Tate my recent work for critique, and third, selection of a print for inclusion in his next publication.

I was blown away when he told me at the opening of XXX+WHY that he was saving a page at the end of his next publication for one of my prints, so as you can imagine I was nervous and excited leading up to this visit.

Tate, as always welcomed me with warmth and excitement in anticipation to see what I had created. I bought 5 prints for him to view. He chose a large black collagraph for the publication and was very happy in deed. He was so pleased with the print that he was straight off to the framer with it the next day.

The small colour collagraphs which I thought he would like were not his favorites, he did however respond well to my large 2 plate colour collagraph which I left with him to ponder over.

We then had a cup of tea and I sat and listed to stories of his life journey and love affair with art, I feel so privileged for this experience and to hear what  influenced his visual art journey. I could never read or experience this in a written biography.

The absolute reason to find a mentor is for this experience; during our conversation Tate said "Jo, you need someone to believe in you, without that you will not know if you are on the right track, if so your likely to give up"

I lefts Tate's place knowing he believes in my ability to be a successful artist. In saying this Tate has given me so much confidence and trust in myself as a printmaking artist, I sure to reach my goals.

To Your Printmaking Success,
Warmly,
Jo Lankester

P.S Acquire your arts business skills at www.howtogetstartedinprintmaking.com

P.P.S What you are is what you have been, and what you will be is what you do now.
Buddha

 Jo Lankester
Stone Wall VI, 2010
Sugarlift Aquatint
12 x12.5cm
$70.00 AUD




© Jo Lankester 2010

1 comment: