Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Getting Started in Printmaking; Finding a Mentor

Hello, thank you for reading my blog on printmaking.

I have just returned from Tate Adams's studio in Townsville, Australia, where I have enjoyed a morning of mentoring by Australia's premier printmaking artist.
I am working with Tate on a number of editions of his latest prints and I invited him to attend my exhibition, as a result he purchased a print in support and invited me over to view his collection of limited addition artist books which he published through his publishing company Lyre Bird Press. This was one of the most valuable moments in the direction of my work since leaving university, The Victorian College of the Arts, in 1994.
I took along some old prints to show Tate which he enthusiastically critiqued and compared with the new direction of my latest work. He believes in my talent and is delighted to share his expert opinion. He set me on my way with an arm full of reference material and invited me back to show him what I create as a result of our meeting.
I left Tate's studio full of inspiration and enthusiasm to work on my next plate. I realised at that point how important it is to develop relationships with established artists to gain constructive criticism in the development of your work and as an artist.

Happy Printmaking!
Warmly
Jo Lankester
P.S. Go to www.howtogetstartedinprintmaking.com to discover how to turn your hobby into a sustainable business
P.P.S Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire, which transcends everything.
Napoleon Hill
The Artist's Mentor: Inspiration from the World's Most Creative MindsThe Artist's Mentor: Inspiration from the World's Most Creative Minds

No comments:

Post a Comment