In my last post I discussed a method of mixing a copper sulphate etch.
The following health & safety precautions should be considered when mixing and etching with copper sulphate.
- Wear rubber gloves when preparing the solution and at all times when etching with zinc
- Where a dust mask when handling the crystal copper sulphate to prevent inhalation
- Avoid drafts or highly ventilated areas when handling the copper sulphate
- Wear eye protection and mask when mixing the copper sulphate solution. If the solution gets into your eyes or on your bare skin, rinse immediately with a plenty of water
- Make sure you have an exhaust system or open air area when etching zinc with a copper sulphate etch. Always use a organic gas ventilation mask when etching with zinc in a copper sulphate etch as hydrogen gas is released in the etching process
- Clean up spills wearing rubber gloves and a wet rag.
- Wash your hands and mouth before eating, drinking or smoking.