Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 5: Jo Lankester Printmaking Residency @ Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts

Welcome to my blog,

Day 5 of my printmaking residency at Umbrella Studio has been focussed on completing the three plates for the first image in the book. I had a challenging day with the imagery for the third plate which is the Burnt Sienna colour plate. The ground was a little more brittle than the others as I had over smoked it slightly. The other plates were waxier and easier to scratch and carve into.

After scrathing all day I felt uncertain of the results I achieved. I went home considering the following,
  1. If the cross hatching I used for  certain areas were too dominant on the plate. Thinking that the sugarlift process would work better in giving a softer aquatint tone and to reduce the size of the marks of the crossed hatched areas.
  2. I pondered on blocking out the crossed hatched areas and etching the line work which I am happy with and consider applying sugarlift as an alternative to the cross hatching  for a second etch.
I slept on it and feel that I may etch the plates as they are and if they are no good then redo them using the back with the sugarlift process. This way I have tried both ways and made an informed decision.

Happy printing,

Warmly,
Jo Lankester

P.S Oh the places you'll go!
Dr. Suess



No comments:

Post a Comment